Thursday, June 18, 2015

This Girl Can Too!

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." -- Confucius


I love the above video. Although I had watched it a while ago, a friend's recent post of the same this week reminded me to share it with you here. "This Girl Can" is a terrific campaign out of the UK that strives to help people overcome their insecurities so they can work out without fear. They have some great role models on their website and in their videos to help this campaign - I highly recommend you checking it out.

Friends have sometimes asked me how I overcame the fear of judgement by the meatheads at the gym when I started hitting the weight rack hard last winter. For me, this was easy... I honestly just don't care what people think, especially when I am working out in the gym. But I get it... It's easy for me to say that because I have worked out before. I know how to workout, and am not afraid of messing up when it comes to the gym. For many of you, however, I know it has to be hard to go to the gym when you're new to the gym scene. There's a fear of looking "stupid." There's the fear of looking fat. And lord knows that those of us with ample tops are concerned with bounce! Just keep in mind that everyone has to start somewhere. Even Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson had a day one at some point.

Don't let the fear of other's opinions keep you from your goals. This is easier said than done - I totally get that - but fear is keeping all of us from living the best lives that we are totally capable of achieving. Women have curves... and curves jiggle. And that's ok! Move your body anyway. Be glad that you have a body capable of moving!

In other news, I signed up for a half marathon today! Hurray! I will be running (or walking... whatever) the Star Wars Half at Disneyland in January. This will be my first long haul race since college. I'm both nervous and excited! My main goal is to finish at the required pace - I'm currently running a 11-12 minute mile, and average a 14-15 minute/mile walking, so I think I'll be ok. That said, I haven't been able to maintain that pace so far much further than 3-5 miles, so endurance training will be key for me in the coming months. If I can finish the race at a 12 minute mile, I'll be happy. If I finish faster, I'll be overjoyed! Either way, I'm just glad that I have the will to try in the first place. If you'll be there too, let me know! I'd love to see you and maybe run or walk with you for a bit while we are there.

That's about it for me tonight, folks. Hope y'all have a pleasant weekend! Keep up the good work!

Cheers!

Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment