Thursday, April 14, 2016

These are my confessions...

"Never confuse movement with action." -- Ernest Hemingway

I'm a control freak. I always have been. The more that I can control things in my life, the happier I am. There are probably a million psychological reasons for why I am this way, but that's a tale for a different post in a different blog. Suffice it to say, however, that I do try to control most things that I can exert some control over. So why is controlling my food so friggin' hard for me? (Full disclosure - I had a Krispy Kreme donut tonight while thinking about this blog.)

As I mentioned on a recent post, I've had a love/hate affair with food when I was just 7 years old. I've been working on it a lot as of late, but it still isn't where it needs to be (See: Krispy Kreme mention above). I don't know if the fates are trying to tell me something or what, but I've had a number of invitations to try new diets or programs this week. A mentor challenged me to attend an Overeater's Anonymous meeting by the end of the month. A number of friends have invited me to try the beach body/Shakeology plan. Another friend has tried to get me to do some tea diet with her. And Natasha has invited me to try the Whole30 Challenge with her running friends (you can join that challenge by visiting the Facebook group here). Can I ask for a bigger sign? (As if the glaring, growing number on the scale isn't sign enough. Ha!)

I'm taking a few days off to staycation with a friend of mine visiting from Florida. I'm going to do my best to make healthy choices, but... vacation. (Can't have vacation without a Mojito!) That said, I have already committed to Natasha to join her Whole30 challenge for at least 1-2 meals a day for the remaining duration of that group (end of April). Something has got to give, and while I don't like the idea of eliminating whole food groups to kickstart a healthier lifestyle, this may just be the kick in the pants I need to succeed. The trick will be finding Whole30 compliant meals when eating out as that's usually my social time :)

Speaking of usual, I'm up WAY past my bedtime. I need to be at work at 6am if everything is going to go according to plan tomorrow. Ugh. In the meantime, I wanted to take a moment to write down my commitment to Whole30 starting on Tuesday (April 19th) - even if that means I'm only participating for 10 days out of 30. Additionally, I want to publicly commit to my other health/wellness goals for the remainder of the month, including:
  • Increasing my water intake from 90oz/day to 120oz/day
  • Limiting my sugar intake to 25-30g/day
  • Eliminating fast food (exception: The Flame Broiler's veggie and chicken bowl without sauce)
  • Running at least 2x/week for 30 minutes, and 5 miles on the weekend
  • Meeting with my trainer at least once/week, and committing to strength training at least 2x/week
These are realistic goals, so I should meet them. If I don't, I may just need to give one of the other plans/programs recommended to me some more thought. The thought of keeping a food diary just kills me. But... if it helps, it helps. What do you do to keep yourself accountable? Have you tried any diets/plans/etc. to help change your eating habits?

Well, I'm off to bed. If I'm lucky, I might squeeze in 5 hours of sleep tonight. Here's hoping! Hope the rest of you have a great weekend. 

Cheers!

Becks



No comments:

Post a Comment