Sunday, July 17, 2016

Bittersweet Sixteen

"It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out;
it's the pebble in your shoe." -- Muhammad Ali


I am the queen of excuses when it comes to health and fitness. Did I work out today? No, I worked overtime. Did I run today? No, my shoes aren't fitting right. Did I cook dinner? No, I didn't have time. As a New Mexpat hailing from the great Land of MaƱana, who would I be if I didn't put today's tasks off until tomorrow? 

To give credit where credit is due, I've done 1,000X better than the Becky of three years ago. I've done 1,000,000X better than the Becky of the 5 years previous to that. But am I doing better than this time last year? Am I improving? Yes... and no. And while I'm giving credit where credit is due, I'm 100% to blame for all of it.

Tomorrow is Day 1 of a 16 week training plan I've developed and plan to use to prepare for my next big runDisney race (Lumiere's Challenge during the Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend). Unlike my last runDisney half marathon, I don't want this race to be only about running/finishing. I want to train harder - train better. I want to get my diet in check. Food as a fuel, and not as a companion or anti-depressant. Running supplemented with strength training to make my runs more efficient, not running as a replacement for strength training. 

I am not so naive to think that I can do this alone. A 19.3 mile race weekend is a big deal for me; it's likely the closest I will ever get to running a full marathon. I don't want to hurt myself, nor do I want to look forward to the event in fear. I know I can do this, so now I need to prove it. 



Of course, I'm still super self-conscious about both my speed and my body. Both need improvement, but this time I'm not going to naively think that I can overcome either by myself. I recently re-enlisted the help of my personal trainer/friend to ask her for a fitness plan with my runs in mind. We had our first session last Friday, and I was super pleased with it. Tomorrow is our lower body focused session, and I can't wait to see what she brings me this time. 

The next 16 weeks are going to take more discipline than I applied for my half marathon earlier this year. It's going to be difficult, so I may need your help. But... I'm looking forward to it. Onward and upward!

Until we meet again...

Becky

2 comments:

  1. I feel the same struggle! I posted the training up on my wall and did the first week almost! Then my grandma passed away last week and we did all the funeral stuff this weekend. I sit here today and am so exhausted I thought.... 'Well it was just a week off...'
    Granted it was a good excuse but I have also been using that it's like 90 degrees out. I moved and am further away from my gym. It's so easy to put off, but then I think I can't be like her and die before I am 80! How terrible, I better take better care of myself stat. So as much as I wanna continue to sit on my bed my brother wants to take me to a rock climbing place. (I think he just wants a good laugh!) But I am gonna go because if not now, then when? I am so excited for Lumieres Challenge, so let's hop on this train and not suck at it. My goal is to take a few photos and finish still finish in under 16 min miles. My friends are gonna leave me in the dust because they are 10 min milers and I am more like 15 min milers when it comes to halves. I die almost at mile 10 like clockwork. We aren't alone in the struggle! Keep posting and kee trying cause I will keep checking to help me stay more motivated.
    @k8tpurdue from Instagram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate! I'm so sorry for the loss of your grandmother. I hear you about the weather struggles... it's been as hot as Hades around here lately. I'm excited for Lumiere's Challenge too! It will be my first Disney challenge, and I'm looking forward to it. I appreciate your encouragement, and I'll try to be better about doing the same. I'm a 15 min miler too, so I feel the struggle. Heck, I'll be happy to finish faster than the race minimum pace! :)

      Delete