Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Ten Tunes Day (LA Dodger 5K Edition)

I don't know - could've been a lame jogger maybe,
Or someone just about to do the freeway strangler baby,
Shopping car pusher, or maybe someone groovie...
One thing's for sure - he isn't starring in the movies...
'Cause he's walking in L.A.
Walking in L.A., nobody walks in L.A. 
---- Missing Persons


Hey friends! Hello again from your friendly Californian blogger! For this week's Ten Tunes Tuesday (this was a thing... should I bring it back? Do you hate it? Hmm)... Anyway, for this week's Ten Tunes Tuesday, I thought I'd put together a list of songs about Los Angeles (or songs that simply remind me of Los Angeles). Why, you ask? Well, I thought it would be fitting considering I just finished my first 5K of 2015 over the weekend benefitting the Los Angeles Dodger Foundation. 

As I mentioned in a previous post, I haven't been doing much by way of racing lately. I did a few 5Ks when I first moved to California in 2011/2012, but I think it's been well over a year since I last participated in one. I've been steadily increasing my runs over the summer, with the longest continuous one lasting right at 4 miles about a week ago. I thought I was prepared, so much so that I even warned my 5K buddy that I intended to run most of Sunday's race. But did I? Nooooooo. And while I could sit here and list a million reasons excuses for that, I won't. What I will say is that I did run some of it. I also learned a lot about what I need to work on as far as training goes before my half marathon in January. I definitely need to find a trail that incorporates more hills. I also really need to strengthen my core - I think part of my problem on Sunday had to do with my weak core, and that's probably because I've increased my cardio but haven't been maintaining my strength training lately. All said... I had a great day with a very good friend. We finished the race, got a really cool medal, and got to walk around the field of Dodger Stadium. Winning!

Without further adieu, here are my Ten Tunes for this Tuesday night:
  1. Missing Persons - "Walking in LA"
  2. Decemberists - "Los Angeles, I'm Yours"
  3. 2Pac - "To Live and Die in LA"
  4. Randy Newman - "I Love LA"
  5. Guns N' Roses - "Welcome to the Jungle"
  6. The Doors - "LA Woman"
  7. Ice Cube - "It Was A Good Day"
  8. Weezer - "Beverly Hills"
  9. America - "Ventura Highway"
  10. Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Under the Bridge" <-- admittedly not uplifting, but sometimes such songs pair great with a good long hike too!

Did I miss any of your favorites? (I know, I know... some of you don't have the same adoration as I do for the fair City of Angels...). Anyway, I'm going to close this with a post-race picture of my friend and I at Sunday's 5k. She and I are looking for another one to do between now and the end of the year. If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Otherwise... Stay tuned!


Until next time, my friends. Cheers, and GO BLUE!

Becky

1 comment: